List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] mp2enc/streamer - problems with audio
From:       "Steven M. Schultz" <sms () 2BSD ! COM>
Date:       2006-03-15 22:28:50

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, David Liontooth wrote:

> So just because the code is in a completely different package that has
> nothing to do with mjpegtools, that somehow frees you from
> responsibility??? (-- sorry, joking :-).  I was imagining streamer used

	I thought it was a good excuse to not work on yet another program :)

> mjpegtools to create wav files, and I was obviously completely and

	No, and that's something that's a minor irritant to me.  Every program
	cobbles together it's own WAV handling.  Even worse inside a project
	there'll be multiple programs that each do their own WAV handling.
	Mjpegtools has at least 2, perhaps 3, different ways of dealing with
	WAV files.

	Naturally this leads to each program having to find and fix 64bit
	and endian issues over and over.  In the case of x86_64 the primary
	problem is the use of 'long' in the WAV header definition.  On a 32
	bit system that's 4 bytes but on a 64bit system it's 8 bytes.  Correct
	data type to use is "uint32_t" which is 4 bytes everywhere (at least
	everywhere that a byte is 8 bits ;)).

> of v4l, Gerd Knorr <mailto:kraxel@bytesex.org>, and is still maintained
> -- cf. http://cvs.bytesex.org/xawtv.html. I'll drop him a line.

	Ah, ok.  Been eons since I tried to get that to work.  Never did have
	much success - but the whole issue was overcome by events by moving
	to DV.

> All I can claim in my defense is that it is difficult at times to track
> down which code does what. I feel much better already knowing mjpegtools

	Yeah, it is a twisty maze of programs.

> do exactly what they're supposed to do on amd64.

	Works fine. I've both an amd64 and a G5/PPC so I had the "fun" of fixing
	both types of bugs :)

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz