List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] Driver installation?
From:       khaqq <khaqq () free ! fr>
Date:       2005-11-03 22:04:44

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 23:12:43 +0100
Torsten Mohr <tmohr@s.netic.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > thanks for the hint.  But it looks like my card is damaged.
> > As i think about replacing it now i thought i'd first ask
> > here for recommendations.  What card should i buy for digital
> > video editing under Linux?
>
> i got the hint by private mail to clean the contacts of the PCI card.
> That actually worked, now the card is recognised and modprobing
> saa7110, adv7175 and zr36067 gives correct entries in /var/log/messages.
> (First capturing failed, but that may be a problem of the cables).

You might also want to check with a magnifying glass that the traces on
the card (the big gold-plated ones) that go inside the PCI connector
itself are well separated. If they are not, _gently_ using a box cutter
between them is the method used by pros, I saw it done on old Dual
Pentium Pro CPU boards from Compaq that used a connector not unlike
slot-I. After sometime, the metal seems to "leak" (after all, it's only
a layer) between traces in the connectors (because they are
mechanically stressed) and cause shortcircuits. In most case serrors
will be benign, in some cases you get random errors, but in extreme
cases, the shortcircuit can actually kill the board.

My own rule on this is only try to fix error-prone boards, never working
ones :)

khaqq