List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] mjpegtools, qdvdauthor to make DVD
From:       "Steven M. Schultz" <sms () 2BSD ! COM>
Date:       2005-10-18 3:20:03

Hi -

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Stan Gammons wrote:

> I'm finally getting around to trying to make some DVD's from older VHS
> tapes. After getting a Canopus ADVC-110 and LOTS of emails to Steven

	Nice unit - I was certainly happy with the older ADVC-100 (as I recall
	one of the big advantanges of the 110 is that it can draw its power
	from the ieee1394 bus and not require a power adaptor/brick).

> I'm still unsure how to make a DVD (with the menus and so forth) if I
> process the raw capture files via a script like this:

	That's the job of 'dvdauthor'.

	Your encoding script looks correct (and very familiar :-))

> It looks to me like Kino and qdvdauthor are designed more to take the
> raw capture files and process them based on the various settings within
> that particular program. Is this the case?  If so, is there another way

	Not exactly.  Kino takes the raw file (often batch/bulkcaptured with
	dvgrab) and created a .smil file.

	I haven't looked at qdvdauthor but being a front end to dvdauthor
	it's likely that you feed the .mpg files into qdvdauthor in the same
	way as dvdauthor.

> to generate the XML file (manually create) so qdvdauthor will see it as

	You could create it by hand I suppose.  The menus and so on you'll
	need to craft using ImageMagick, xv, gimp, whatever.

> awfully long time to process the capture files into a mpeg2 file. Like 3
> hr and 20 minutes or so for 30 minutes of video. That's on a machine

	That's quite reasonable for that pipeline.  The bottleneck is not
	the encoder but the other processing - denoising/enhancing/etc
	video is time consuming.

>  with FC4, a 2.8 Ghz Celeron, 1 Gb of memory and a 120 Gb 7200 RPM

	Celeron does have a smaller cache  - that might be a small part of
	the slowness.  But with 5 process in the pipeline there's a lot
	of competition for 1 cpu.

> Deskstar. I'm hoping I don't have to go through it all over again.

	No, once you have the .m2v and .mp2 (or .ac3) files then you
	'mplex -f 8 -o output.mpg input.m2v input.mp2' and send the
	output.mpg off to the dvd authoring process.  The other DVD authoring
	programs I'm familiar with use the elementary files (.m2v, .mp2) and
	do the mplex'ing as part of the final output processing (when the
	.VOB files are being created).

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz