List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] "width * height" assertion failed
From:       "Steven M. Schultz" <sms () 2BSD ! COM>
Date:       2005-09-18 22:27:08

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, reuben wrote:

> Good call.  Final size had to be 128x96, because yuv2lav requires a
> multiple of 16 for each dimension.

	Interesting - although it is strongly recommended that frame dimensions
	be multiples of 16 that is not enforced by the MPEG encoder mpeg2enc.
	Must be something in the JPEG processing that is imposing the
	restriction.

	But why are you using yuv2lav in the first place instead of
	encoding to MPEG-1?  MJPEG is much larger than MPEG (as you've found
	out ;)).

> The final size of the avi is 9MBs, even at that low resolution. What can
> I do to shrink the size dramatically? (The animation is about 1 minute

	Encode to MPEG-1 instead of MJPEG.

	Something like this (which is just off the tips of the fingers - I
	haven't actually tried it ;))

	jpeg2yuv ... | mpeg2enc -f 0 -b 800 -o output.m1v

	If 800 Kbits/s is still too large I'd lower it. With a small frame
	like 128x96 you probably can get by with 400 or less.

	Lots of other options can be tossed in but that should get you
	going in the right direction.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz