List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    [Mjpeg-users] newbie trying to use a dc10 plus card
From:       "David Stan" <redmiracle1 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-05 14:16:04

>On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 03:39, David Stan wrote:
>>my 1st question is how do i know what modules or
>>drivers are loaded? which do i need?
>
>/sbin/lsmod tells you what drivers are loaded, /sbin/lsmod | grep
>zr36067 is what you're looking for. If it gives no output, don't worry,
>just load the driver: /sbin/modprobe zr36067. It'll autodetect the card
>type and load the driver appropriately. Run dmesg to get some kernel
>output and confirm the driver was loaded and the card found.
lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
fglrx                 235772  7
rfcomm                 31900  0
l2cap                  21636  5 rfcomm
bluetooth              41988  4 rfcomm,l2cap
ipx                    24108  0
sg                     29088  0
c4                     16900  0
b1pci                   5248  0
b1                     21120  2 c4,b1pci
capi                   14656  0
capifs                  3976  2 capi
kernelcapi             43424  4 c4,b1pci,b1,capi
ipt_state               1664  54
ipt_REJECT              5504  4
ipt_limit               2176  6
ipt_LOG                 6272  6
ip_conntrack_ftp       71344  0
ip_conntrack           39956  2 ipt_state,ip_conntrack_ftp
iptable_filter          3072  1
ip_tables              16640  5
ipt_state,ipt_REJECT,ipt_limit,ipt_LOG,iptable_f
ilter
tsdev                   5696  0
analog                  9888  0
8250_pnp                8064  0
eth1394                17800  0
snd_ens1371            19936  1
snd_rawmidi            19488  1 snd_ens1371
snd_seq_device          6796  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec         66680  1 snd_ens1371
snd_pcm_oss            45728  0
snd_mixer_oss          15872  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                77704  3 snd_ens1371,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              20612  1 snd_pcm
snd                    44772  10
snd_ens1371,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97
_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               7264  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          7428  1 snd_pcm
gameport                3584  2 analog,snd_ens1371
ohci1394               29956  0
ieee1394              299832  2 eth1394,ohci1394
ne2k_pci                8288  0
8390                    8576  1 ne2k_pci
i2c_sis96x              4612  0
i2c_sis630              6540  0
shpchp                 89828  0
pci_hotplug            28464  1 shpchp
sis_agp                 5892  1
parport_pc             36804  1
lp                      9516  0
parport                30408  2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4                15748  0
evdev                   7168  0
pcspkr                  3432  0
af_packet              16648  0
agpgart                27048  2 sis_agp
v4l2_common             4864  0
zr36060                 8972  1
adv7175                 5384  0
saa7110                 6664  0
zr36067               130620  0
i2c_algo_bit            8712  1 zr36067
videodev                7424  1 zr36067
videocodec              7316  2 zr36060,zr36067
i2c_core               17808  5
i2c_sis96x,i2c_sis630,adv7175,saa7110,i2c_algo_bit
8250                   19516  1 8250_pnp
usblp                  10496  0
serial_core            18176  1 8250
ntfs                  165904  0
ehci_hcd               28804  0
ohci_hcd               19080  0
uhci_hcd               28944  0
usbcore               101880  5 usblp,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd
pcmcia                 18052  0
yenta_socket           17920  0
pcmcia_core            46656  2 pcmcia,yenta_socket
video                  14212  0
thermal                10888  0
processor              15788  1 thermal
fan                     3332  0
button                  5136  0
battery                 8324  1
ac                      3588  0
root@box:~#

--

David Stan wrote:

>>hi all
>>I am a confused newbie (ie someone who knows enough to
>>get into trouble)
>>
>>I have a dc10 plus card I beleive a card no. 2 type
>>i.e. it has a the following chips on it
>>ZR36067PQC-LV
>>ZR36060 PQC
>>SAA 7110A
>>ADV 7176AKS
>That are the important IC's.

>>I am using a harddrive installed version of kanotix
>>which I beleive then becomes a debian system using
>>kanotixes schripts
>>
>>The kernel is a 2.6.12-kanotix-1
>I have installed mjpegtools ver 1.6.2-0.9 using synaptic
>Take a look and find out if there is a compiled zr3606 module. Or maybe
>the driver is alreaddy compiled into the kernel.

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a '#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
# video
# pcmcia
# ehci_hcd
i2c_core
# i2c_sis96x
# i2c_sis630
# 3c59x
videodev
videocodec
i2c_algo_bit
zr36067
saa7110
adv7175
zr36060
v4l2-common
# pcspkr
# evdev
# autofs4
# sis_agp
# snd-ens1371
# snd-pcm-oss
ohci-hcd
uhci-hcd
ntfs
ac
battery
button
fan
processor
thermal
pcmcia_core
yenta_socket
serial_core
8250
af_packet

I assume that this means they are loaded? How can I tell?

root@box:~# xawtv -hwscan
This is xawtv-3.94, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.10-kanotix-8)
looking for available devices
port 67-67
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : ATI Radeon Video Overlay

/dev/video0: OK                         [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    type : v4l2
    name : DC10plus[0]
    flags: overlay capture

root@box:~#

>If you have that module try to load it. Usually the driver should detect
>the card correct. If not take a look in ther kernel Doku file Zoran and
>look here for the section 2 How do I get this damn thing to work:
>Load zr36067.o. If it can't autodetect your card, use the card=X insmod
>option with X being the card number as given in the previous section.
>To have more than one card, use card=X1[,X2[,X3,[X4[..]]]]
>options zr36067 card=X1[,X2[,X3[,X4[..]]]]
>alias char-major-81-0 zr36067
sorry I don't understand

>When loading the moduls look at the messages you find in your system log
>(often /var/log/messages) If you encounter problems attach the output
>from the log..

I can not find any errors re xawtv or anything which seems related to my
problem

>>my hardware is a 1800+ with a 9200se video card with a
>>sis motherboard
>Should work, at least I do not remember reports where the card didn't
>work.
>
>>my 1st question is how do i know what modules or
>>drivers are loaded? which do i need?
>>2nd the best way to test the system
>>Attach a video source (maybe not VCR for the first tests) and run xawtv.
>
>>3rd can i use xawtv
>That one TV application you can use for viewing. :)
>If you see the signal you can start an try to record from the card with
>the mjpegtools. You might want to take a look a the mjpeg-howto (found
>on the mjpegtoos hompage) first.
>
>auf hoffentlich bald,
>
>Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter
>
>Email: shadowlord@utanet.at
>www: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz/bernhard

My last test was with the 2.6.10-kanotix-8  because I noticed an error while
booting related to i2c-core module but could not find any error in
/var/log/messages

where should I find a log which I see when booting?

The pc freezes completely when I start xawtv still stating incorrect input
so could you tell me how to do a short recording using the composite i/p
(that way I know the line will be correct)

Thank you all for your help so for