List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    [Mjpeg-users] yuvdenoise
From:       Ray Cole <ray_cole () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2005-06-29 1:14:29

When yuvdenoise was first re-written I was really sad because I liked the original \
yuvdenoise so much.  The newer one was slow and did not seem to get rid of anywhere \
near the noise the original did.  I decided to give it another chance using the \
latest from CVS and noticed it is now only 2X as slow as the original (getting closer \
:-) and there is a noticeable difference in quality from the old one from what I can \
tell.  I always saw a little bit of a 'pulsating' effect on the original yuvdenoise \
(my wife thought I was crazy, but I saw it...) like there was some sort of an \
overflow issue, but this newer one doesn't have that problem.  The older one also \
never quite let a scene with deep red tones fade to black on scene transitions, but \
this newer one seems to be able to truly fade to complete black.  The picture is very \
stable with it.  I only use light denoise (y, u, v all values of 1) which is what I \
was used to doing with the original yuvdenoise.

Anyway, thought I'd give a little note of encouragement about it.  I love this set of \
tools.  I recently set my father up with these tools - he has a lot of video tapes he \
wants to convert.  He had been trying to use Windows and I kept telling him that \
these tools on Linux would give far, far better results.  He never quite believed it \
until he actually saw it for himself.  He was blown away by the quality of the video \
he saw after running it through light yuvdenoise and yuvycsnoise fed into mpeg2enc.  \
He never thought it would be possible to get such good quality.

If I could give 1 little suggestion though...rather than 'yuvdenoise -help' can it \
take 'yuvdenoise --help' to be consistent with mpeg2enc's --help?  :-)

I'm off to play around with some other y/u/v values, but from what I've seen with \
these '1' values it looks great.

-- Ray