List:       mjpeg-developer
Subject:    [Mjpeg-developer] Long time no mjpegtools...
From:       Steven Boswell II <ulatekh () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-04-22 0:26:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello all!  For those of you that don't remember me, I'm an mjpegtools developer too, \
and long ago I wrote y4mdenoise, but that was about 4 years ago.

I apologize for my absence.  I had one of those more-than-full-time jobs that worked \
me to death.  (Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be video-game programmers.  \
Especially not Sony/iPhone low-level hardware programmers.)  The company closed down \
six weeks ago, and it's taken me this long to get over the trauma enough so that I \
was willing to deal with my home computer again without whimpering. ;-)

I've been sitting on several y4mdenoise changes for quite some time, and just now \
checked them in.  Mostly, I formalized the updates needed for newer versions of GCC, \
and I improved the algorithm a bit.  Before, if match-size-throttling was in use (as \
it usually is), it picked the first match bigger than the throttle size, but now it \
picks the largest such match.  This led to a pretty serious quality increase!  Also, \
I finally fixed the threading properly -- no more truncated streams.  Man, that was \
sloppy.

My intention is to implement the next logical step in my algorithm, which should be \
faster & generate better results.  After that, I hope to improve the threading so as \
to fill up more processors on SMP machines.  In my dreams, I'll finally port \
y4mdenoise to the Cell processor & take advantage of the SPUs (the only thing I like \
about the PS3).  I guess it's up to Murphy's Law: either I'll get to do this, or my \
old company will get a contract and I'll be back to steady paychecks.  Let's see \
which one Murphy thinks is more "wrong". :-)

Looks like lots of bug fixing happened while I was away!  I can't wait to try the \
latest mpeg2enc and yuvdeinterlace!

Steven Boswell
ulatec @ sourceforge