List:       miros-discuss
Subject:    Re: MirBSD
From:       Thorsten Glaser <tg () mirbsd ! de>
Date:       2015-01-15 23:44:49

Pyrate Noah Eade dixit:

>Hi...As the creator of all artwork associated with ekkoBSD... i know
>when my images are being used. Who gave you permission to use
>exclusive property of ekkoBSD as your "logo"?

Hi! (Keeping this on the mailing list, I don't think there
is any private information in this message either; feel
free to follow up either publicly or privately.)

Thanks for contacting me! I had been wondering for a while…
back then, anyway.

The background story is: MirBSD had been around for a while
when ekkoBSD was started; we worked together for a bit, not
much though, and ekkoBSD eventually ended. I inherited three
developers (though they did not work much with MirBSD before
moving on), and Rick Colette and I talked a bit about your
nice shilouette dæmon logo, because MirBSD, at that time,
did not have any logo at all (it also took me a while to
actually get a domain… someone had to register that for me).
Rick agreed (I'd have to dig out the actual eMail, unless it
was from before the one time I lost my mail backup archive)
to, I quote from the LICENCE file:

| The Shilouette dæmon is Copyright  © 2003 by Rick Collette
| The MirOS Project may freely use the former ekkoBSD Logo,
| the shilouette Dæmon, for MirBSD, on anything the project
| leader sees fit, so long as it pertains to MirBSD in some
| way and the leader gives credit for the original dæmon to
| Marshall Kirk McKusick.

Apparently, Rick was, at that time, persuaded he held enough
rights to it to be able to give that licence to me. He did
not have anything resembling original design files or anything,
just https://www.mirbsd.org/MirOS/PR/logo.jpg (the exact file
I got handed over from him). He said he'd look and try to find
the original author, IIRC, but nothing ever got out of it even
when I asked a year or so later for the status.

>sincerely... the creator of this image... i hold all the original
>photoshop and gimp files on this image...noah eade

Hm. To be honest… Rick made believable that he held enough
rights to be able to "hand it over" to me. If he didn't, I'd
prefer if you could make that out between you two.

If you would be willing to licence that, under the same terms
or more liberal ones, to me, and include files from which nicer
images could be generated, I'd be really happy, of course ;-)
(Things like giving credit are implicit, although I've got no
idea who (only Rick, only you, the two of you) comes behind
that  © sign (if only Rick, you'd probably be listed as artist
behind it), and, as I said, please discuss that between the
two of you.)

If not, I'm still open for further discussion, of course.

bye,
//mirabilos, who likes this logo really a lot
mirabilos: und dein bootloader ist geil :)    23:29⎜ «mikap:#grml » und ich
finds saugeil dass ich ein bsd zum booten mit grml hab, das muss ich dann
gleich mal auf usb-stick installieren	-- Michael Prokop über MirOS bsd4grml