List:       miros-discuss
Subject:    RFD: perl changes
From:       Thorsten Glaser <tg () mirbsd ! de>
Date:       2008-08-02 17:58:47

Build a shared libperl again?

• since perl cannot be cross-built and we now use -Wl,-rpath and
  -Wl,-rpath-link, the problems we used to have with it should be gone
• would benefit ports such as editors/vim in the perl flavour
• versioning is easy enough now
• drawback: the build system already sucks

Build a threaded perl on i386?

• has been stable enough back when we used it
• binary incompatible to non-threaded perl
  ‣ need to change config.over to append -thread -multi -64int -64all etc.
    to the architecture name (or do some more sane things) when overriding
  ⇒ would lead to having to rebuild all perl modules (ports, pkgsrc ®, CPAN)
  ‣ existing modules would just be ignored with the archname change
• probably has some benefits… dunno

Build a threaded perl on sparc?

• any heavy perl on sparc users? I'm not, thus the case for switching this
  architecture as well isn't mine

//mirabilos
--
Sometimes they [people] care too much: pretty printers [and syntax highligh-
ting, d.A.] mechanically produce pretty output that accentuates irrelevant