List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] Idea/Discussion of unicode filepath support	for	C++	STL on Windows
From:       Eli Zaretskii <eliz () gnu ! org>
Date:       2016-10-13 10:15:16

> From: Emily Leiviskä <emily.leiviska@imagesystems.se>
> Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:41:22 +0000
>
> Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see all the other broken APIs fixed and have \
> MinGW be fully Unicode compatible. However I do believe that fixing the file open \
> APIs is low hanging fruit that would help a lot of people, even if it isn't  full \
> blown Unicode compatibility. And as was said, it is a first step. For example we \
> have a particular case where we get Unicode file paths from Java into a JNI DLL \
> compiled with MinGW, we just want to pass these strings through, and  open the \
> file.
> Do you think there is a reasonable chance to get this into MinGW?

That's for Keith to answer, not me.  I presume that presenting a
working patch would be a useful first step for a practical discussion.
If the patch goes into libmingwex, it's entirely a MinGW decision,
AFAIU.  If you need to patch libstdc++, you will have to talk to GCC
maintainers, where that library is developed and maintained.

TIA

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.