List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] support of multibyte and wide character
From:       Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-10-07 9:39:22

On 4 October 2014 15:22, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: マーズ <maazu@tharkus.dyndns.org>
> > Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 05:56:59 +0800
> >
> > Mingw only offer C-locale at the moment.
>
> That's definitely not true.  See my response with information how to
> make that work.  MinGW calls 'setlocale' in the Windows runtime, and
> that one supports much more than just the "C" locale.

Sadly, this is true. The reason is that MinGW relies on the "obsolete"
C runtime MSVCRT.dll, which is terribly broken regarding multi-byte
support. Heck, I cannot even output a Chinese character by the
wide-char version putwc, and putc is broken too.

An old discussion is here:

http://ehc.ac/p/mingw/mailman/mingw-users/thread/loom.20131001T202545-134%40post.gmane.org/

The same program can work well on Windows XP by any compiler, but only
works if compiled with a runtime that is not MSVCRT.dll--i.e., static
runtime by MSVC 6 or later, or dynamic runtime by MSVC 7+. MinGW only
uses MSVCRT.dll, and the resulting binary cannot output multi-byte
characters reliably on Windows versions later than Vista.

--
Wu Yongwei

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.