List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] "Shellshock" security bug in Msys bash??
From:       Michael Gerdau <mgd () qata ! de>
Date:       2014-10-04 23:07:01

[some info on shellshock skipped]

> it does appear that a version of bash is used for the Msys command shell.

That is correct.

> So I wonder whether anyone has investigated whether the "Shellshock" bug
> affects Msys bash, and if so, has there been any fix/update for the
> problem?

It does affect MSYS bash.

However the danger posed to your system is likely to be rather limited.
AFAICT in a local environment it is close to null - after all a program
run by you locally that is crafted to make use of this bug could much
more easily directly attack your system.

In a nutshell:
unless you expose access to that shell to the outside world (e.g. by a
webserver like apache via CGI) you are fairly unlikely to become a victim
of this bug. On the other hand IF you do just that you probably run a
high risk to become a victim...but then you probably should be running
a linux server anyway :)

HTH, best wishes,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: mgd@qata.de

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.