List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] Boost.Context + MinGW + EXPORT keyword
From:       Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw () verizon ! net>
Date:       2014-04-14 17:44:53

On 4/14/2014 12:40 PM, Keith Marshall wrote:
> On 14/04/14 15:10, Robert Hartmann wrote:
> > Because Boost.Context has a documented dependency on MASM [1] the build
> > process under Windows without MSAM doesn't work.
> >
> > I found this ticket and inside the following quoted statement:
> >
> > https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/7262
> >
> > ********
> > You should ask the MinGW developers to get their software correct
> > (for instance linker used by MinGW does not understand the EXPORT
> > keyword in the object files generated by MASM).
> > ********
>
> Rather, you should ask the boost folks to get their act together; why
> should MinGW -- a free software project -- be expected to cow-tow to the
> idiosyncrasies of a proprietary, non-free assembler?

Good luck!  The KiCad project had the same issue.  We even submitted our
patch but they refused it.  The answer was always the same.  Use MASM
with no reasonable explanation as to why the gnu assembler was
unacceptable. By the way, our GNU assembler versions of the context
library work just fine.  Thanks to the Boost projects attitude, we now
have to maintain our own patched build of Boost for the context library
(and a few other bug patches they were unwilling to accept) assembly
issue.  The KiCad patch is similar to the patch proposed by Alexey.  You
may want think carefully about using Boost in your project and see if
you can find an alternative unless you are willing to put up that kind
of nonsense.  I'm beginning to regret using Boost in KiCad.

> > My question is now:
> > Is there a chance, so that gcc/g++ from MinGW.org can use object-files
> > generated from MASM?
>
> Very unlikely; persuade the boost folks to fix their bug.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.