List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] intptr_t in io.h and wchar.h
From:       Keith Marshall <keithmarshall () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2013-12-16 20:44:21

On 16/12/13 00:44, Damon Register wrote:
> I was installing the lasted MinGW in order to work on a few projects
> that I have that use gtkmm.  The gtkmm for windows that I have been
> using was built for g++ 4.6.  compiling even the simplest hello world
> project for this gtkmm crashes on startup.

Hmm.  Is this an issue caused by a change in GCC, or in the runtime
libraries?  FWIW, I prefer to always build supplementary packages,
(particularly those which furnish libraries), from source, using the
compiler I intend to use; only by doing this, can you ensure tool kit
consistency, especially when you use a foreign library such as gtkmm.

> For now I will have to use the older MinGW until I can find a more
> recent gtkmm that will work with g++ 4.8.
>
> Now I am trying to figure out how I can install the older version of
> MinGW.  The current installer doesn't offer me any version choice.

Yes, it does; however, you have to run it from the command line, and,
right now, there's a dependency resolver bug which requires you to use a
step-wise procedure[1][2][3]:

  $ mingw-get install binutils-bin
  $ mingw-get install gcc-bin='4.6.*' g++-bin='4.6.*'
  $ mingw-get upgrade mingwrt-dev

[1]: You *must* install binutils first, in isolation, or you will end up
with the wrong version of libgcc, for use with GCC-4.6; (this is the
effect of mingw-get's dependency resolver bug, for which I'm still
working on a resolution).

[2]: You may observe "extraction failed" errors for three documentation
files, while installing GCC-4.6 and G++-4.6; these are the result of a
packaging bug in mingwrt-3.x packages.  (This is a packaging error: the
dev and dll component packages both deliver these three files, contrary
to the packaging rules).  You may safely ignore this.

[3]: You *must* either upgrade mingwrt-dev, (as above), *after* you've
installed GCC-4.6 and G++-4.6, or alternatively, you must

  $ mingw-get upgrade w32api-dev='3.*'

If you neglect this final step, you will end up with incompatible
versions of mingwrt and w32api, due to a dependency specification error
in the catalogue entry for GCC-4.6, (and similarly for GCC-4.7, IIRC).

> I have one older installer that offers me a 4.6.2 snapshot or the
> latest catalog.

That would presumably be mingw-get-inst.exe, which we've discontinued,
and no longer support.

> Is there any way to specify version with the current installer?

Yes; see above.

> What I would really like to do is have an offline installer.

You can use mingw-get off line, provided you've pre-populated the
package cache, ($MINGW_ROOT/var/cache/mingw-get/packages/), with all
necessary package archives; (you may simply copy that cache directory,
with all its content, from a machine on which you've completed an
on-line installation, for use in an off-line install).

--
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.