List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] MinGW can no longer be installed using MinGW-get
From:       Keith Marshall <keithmarshall () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2013-06-25 19:53:55

On 25/06/13 16:57, Lutz Kohlrausch wrote:
> I and two co-workers here have been trying to install MinGW for the
> past two weeks, using mingw-get-inst. This is really getting to me,
> having recommended to use MinGW as the C++ compiler.

I do not support mingw-get-inst; I do support mingw-get.  However, since
mingw-get-inst is no more than a wrapper for mingw-get itself, there's
really no reason why it shouldn't work just as well as using mingw-get
directly.

I will offer one suggestion, if you do use mingw-get-inst; *never*
accept its offer to use bundled catalogues; *always* request it to
update to the latest available.

> mingw-get always complains about unavailable files and the resulting
> installation cannot be used.
>
> The cause for this problem may be sourceforge, and it may be related
> to the source forge mirrors that are active when downloading from
> Germany.

I don't know what is going on with you, in Germany, but for me, in the
United Kingdom, via a company proxy with internet access through a
server located in Paris, France, I don't have the slightest problem.
Immediately after receiving this mail, I downloaded the current version
of mingw-get, selecting the zip format package, and extracted it into a
completely clean sandbox.  Within that sandbox, I then ran (in cmd.exe)

   C:\> cd sandbox\bin
   C:\sandbox\bin> mingw-get install g++ msys-base

This caused mingw-get to run through a complete catalogue update,
followed by download and installation of g++-4.7.2, complete with all of
its dependencies, and of a basic MSYS.  Everything downloaded and
installed successfully, without the slightest murmur of complaint, and
the resulting installation works perfectly.  I can only conclude that
the problem lies with your own internet service, or with SF's service in
Germany, so there's not much I can do to help; you will need to pursue
it with SF directly.

> Earnie suggested that it's a transient problem related to slow
> response times, but then I should have had some success sometime
> during the past two weeks.
>
> If the files that mingw-get tries to retrieve are really there, then
> maybe mingw-get should be more robust with respect to these timing
> issues.

mingw-get really does try *very* hard, to establish a connection for
each and every individual download file URL; it performs up to 25
retries *per* *file*, with each attempt persisting for the full time out
duration as specified in your internet explorer configuration.  However,
in you case, you seem to be getting 404 responses, which is an explicit
"URL does not exist" response, so no number of retries is likely to
succeed.  Every one of your failing URLs appears to be valid, and is
successfully resolved for me; you need to pursue the issue from your own
end, perhaps with reference to SF support.  I'd like to be able to help
you, but I really don't see what I can do.

--
Regards,
Keith.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.