List:       mingw-users
Subject:    [Mingw-users] What is the difference between -B and -J for specifying module search paths in gfortra
From:       "Michalakes, John" <John.Michalakes () nrel ! gov>
Date:       2013-06-20 16:15:49

A number of manual pages for gfortran (e.g. http://linux.die.net/man/1/gfortran) \
specify:

    -Jdir   This option specifies where to put .mod files for compiled modules. It is \
also added to the list of directories to searched by an "USE" statement.

Whereas the output of --help from the MinGW build gfortran on Cygwin (4.6.2, GCC) \
which I have running under Win7 specifies:

    -B    Add to the compiler's search paths

The MinGW gfortran compiler does not complain if -J is used when -B is needed, but -J \
does not work properly. Without emitting messages warning that it cannot find .mod \
files needed to satisfy USE statements, the compiler simply fails to resolve the \
USE-associated symbols.

Why are there two different options for the same functionality in different versions \
of gfortran.  Is there is a list of which versions support which option, -J or -B? \
This issue (or perhaps my lack of understanding) is leading to some unnecessary \
complexity in our build scripts that use gfortran across different platforms.

Thank you,

 John Michalakes
 Computational Sciences Center
 National Renewable Energy Laboratory
15013 Denver West Pkwy,  ESIF301
Golden CO 80401
Phone: 303-275-4297, Fax: 303-275-4007
john.michalakes@nrel.gov
http://www.nrel.gov/csc/staff_michalakes.html

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.