List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] 32-Bit Graphics
From:       Linux <linux () interworld ! net ! au>
Date:       2013-01-22 1:47:48

On Tue, 2013-01-22 at 08:58 +0800, KHMan wrote:

> > I tried DOSBox, but it didn't seem to play nice with the VESA modes
> > I'm using. VM was also examined but seemed like overkill.
> >
> > At this point I've created a FreeDOS boot CD which I just rebuild
> > every time I update the program. Not exactly optimal but at least I
> > can distribute it to friends without requiring them to load a bunch of
> > system bloat.
> > [snip]
>
> Well, 8-bit palette mode in SDL compiled on MinGW does appear to
> work on WinXP. However, Windows may reassign palette colours on
> app switching, which may leave your app messed up. It's unclear
> how broken this legacy support is in the various recent versions
> of Windows... googling, one can find forum discussions on old
> games, but any kind of definitive information is lacking.
>
> I suppose it's viable, as long as you are willing to get through
> the barrier of setting up the dev environment. If you are good at
> learning new tools on your own, then it should not be a problem at
> all.

I solved a similar involving a application compiled with Turbo C by
installing M$ DOS 5.2 onto a VirtualBox VM. Works perfectly, including
the mouse and cut & paste between Linux and DOS and Samba network.

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.