List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] What's the relationship between GCC and MinGW
From:       Jean-François_Berne <jean-francois () berne ! no-ip ! org>
Date:       2011-01-27 21:14:00

Am 27/01/2011 17:27, schrieb Charles Wilson:
> On 1/27/2011 11:20 AM, JonY wrote:
> > On 1/28/2011 00:00, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > > However, MOST of our end users should NOT install the
> > > msys-system-builder or the msys-gcc packages -- because MOST end users
> > > don't want to build msys apps; they want to build MinGW ones.
> >
> > Is there a good way to inform the user what they might be getting into,
> > so to avoid such accidents? A warning might be a bit overkill. I guess
> > its hard to deal with actual users.
> Well, maybe we could remove the 'MSYS System Builder' option from the
> GUI wrapper; that way newbies won't see it and click by mistake (or "I
> want everything!").  You could then only get it if you manually executed
>
> 	mingw-get install msys-system-builder
>
> That's probably fair, for now.  The "real" GUI installer, once it is
> created, will probably have a mechanism (mouseover popups?) to display
> the<description>  tags in the xml -- which currently contains a pretty
> good explanation that "you probably don't want this" already, IIRC.

As a newbie needing an openSSL lib to build openLDAP on mingw, I found
msys-openssl and linked it.

The msys-openssl objects call the msys dll and the executable I get
starts immediately ìn segmentation violation. Now it is obvious to me
why this happened, but it was not before Chuck told me.

It could be useful to newbies to say from the beginning that msys-* are
unsuitable to build mingw binaries, perhaps in the release notes ?

JF

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.