List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] Old tools in mingw
From:       Charles Wilson <cwilso11 () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2011-01-25 16:35:28

On 1/25/2011 10:54 AM, Jonas noLastName wrote:
> > Assuming you are using the mingw-get installer to manage your MSYS and
> > MinGW installation, specifically what software is so old that it irks you?
>
> Well it's not really an irk thing, i was just worried about missing out
> on improvements etc and that the old versions may in some way cause
> trouble with the compiled binaries, like file size, performance.
>
> I recently compiled notepad2 using mingw and noticed the "-O3 -s
> -DNDEBUG" version was bigger (about a megabyte bigger) then the release
> version compiled with visual studio 2010.

Well, that's a completely different question.  The newness or lack
thereof of the *msys* tools have absolutely no effect on the size of
code produced by the MinGW gcc.

Also, -O3 deliberately makes certain choices that (theoretically)
improve speed by increase the size of the code (e.g. unrolling short
loops by simply repeating the code N times).  In fact, the newer your
gcc, the MORE likely it is that you'll see bigger -- but faster -- code,
as more "improvements" like this are discovered.

-O2 is usually considered the best balance between speed and code size
(and -Os will give you tiny, but very slow, code). YMMV, of course.

--
Chuck

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.