List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] msys and \\?\ UNC paths
From:       Arnold Hendriks <a.hendriks () b-lex ! nl>
Date:       2010-05-31 20:51:40

On 31-5-2010 22:24, Earnie wrote:
> I'm guessing that it may be an issue with the way the DLL needs to find
> itself.  I also get a security warning about an unknown publisher by
> starting it with the UNC path.

That's an Explorer thing, it's not really recognizing the paths and
thinks its a network place. Probably fixable by adding \\?\ to the local
intranet zone in IE, breaking any last hope of security there :)

I guess I'll just look into not using UNC paths when doing
CreateProcess. After all, I encountered this issue setting up regression
tests for a webserver, long paths pointing to a msys cgi-bin application
probably aren't that likely in practice.

Mingw-compiled executables themselves work fine with long UNC paths (as
I'd expect) if the APIs are invoked properly, so that's still better
than the Windows shell itself often appears capable of.

Arnold Hendriks

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.