List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] Complex number calculations are much slower with
From:       Stéphane Larouche <stephane.larouche () polymtl ! ca>
Date:       2009-06-30 1:43:51

Aaron W. LaFramboise <aaron77thyme@...> writes:
> Roumen Petrov wrote:
>
> > Library mingwex provide only functions for float and long double. double
> > functions are from Microsoft C runtime.
> > Could someone confirm that the test use mingwex functions ?
>
> They use the mingwex complex routines in the mingwex/complex directory,
> most (perhaps all) of which were contributed by Danny Smith.  Many of
> those routines are implemented in terms of the routines that you
> describe, and its possible that poor performance of MSVCRT is part of
> the problem.  Nothing short of a detailed analysis will tell for sure,
> though.

Thank you for taking a look at the problem.

When I look at the complex header from both the 3.4.5 and 4.4.0 versions, I have
the impression that basic arithmetic operations (addition, subtraction,
multiplication and division) are directly implemented in the header file, and
identically in both cases. However, it is those operations that suffer the
largest slowdown (and are the bottleneck in my application). This mystifies me.
Any idea what is going on?

As for the trigonometric operations and the like, I can try to find more
effective mathematical expressions to calculate them, but I don't have the
expertise to know how they are compiled and how it affects optimization.

Stéphane

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Most annoying abuses are:
1) Top posting