List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] GCC 4.4.0 failed to compile GSL 1.12
From:       "Aaron W. LaFramboise" <aaron77thyme () aaronwl ! com>
Date:       2009-06-25 1:33:55

Massimo Gaspari wrote:
> Roumen Petrov wrote:
>> Massimo Gaspari wrote:
>>
>>> Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote

>>> I know.
>>> With -ffloat-store the issue disappear. Moreover the well known bug in
>>> vegas (montecarlo) is still present, it can be avoided with -ffloat-store
>>>
>>> Max
>>>
>> May be issue is related to precision supported by x86 FPU (long double
>> vs double) and cache of results in registers. Explicit conversion (cast)
>> to double in code may resolve issue for any compiler.
>>
>> I'm not sure that this is a GCC bug.
>>
>> Roumen
>>

> May be you are right. But GSL is developed using GCC/Linux  x86 and the
> bugs are not present there ( at least using Gcc 4.2.x).

If it's true that this bug is specific to MinGW, then its probably
something we have a shot at fixing (as opposed to PR323 issues in
general, which will remain short of a very concerted and lengthy effort
by a well-motivated expert).  One goal for MinGW GCC is to be at least
as good as Linux GCC.

Massimo, can you file a detailed description of this bug on our bug
tracker so this issue doesn't get lost?

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Most annoying abuses are:
1) Top posting