List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] Handling autoconf configure scripts
From:       Xochitl Lunde <Xochitl_Lunde () tripplite ! com>
Date:       2009-03-23 15:23:37

--=_alternative 00544DB586257582_=

> I strive to set up my own Linux-hosted environment. I've read document
> available at:
>
> http://www.mingw.org/wiki/IncludePathHOWTO
>
> Now compiler finds all the headers I want, but let's take the step
> before - what should I do for autoconf-made configure, if I want for
> it to look at MinGW directories for headers and libraries? Is it even
> possible, since they often depend on pkgtool?
>
> Yes, I am aware that the way over it is to edit config.mak or
> configure script itself, but if there is more automatic way to handle
> it, I would be most happy to know.

Are you talking about 'configure.ac' maybe?  You can make a file named
'configure.ac' and autoconf will take into account the rules you put into
configure.ac when generating configure.  The file could have the following
lines for a C++ program.

AC_INIT(hello.cc)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(hello,0.1)
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)

You could look at the list of macros here
http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/automake-1.5/html_node/automake_88.html
or
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Autoconf-Macro-Index.html#Autoconf-Macro-Index.

In 'configure.ac' you could define a variable for your path to MinGW.  You
could use AC_ARG_VAR or AC_ARG_WITH to specify the path on the command
line as a configure option, for example.  Or you could just hardcode it
for initial test like this:

ac_path_mingw_incs="-I/whatever-path/mingw
-I${variable-top-path}/other-mingwpath -I../../another-mingw-path"
AC_SUBST(ac_path_mingw_incs)

Then in your 'makefile.am' for your application or library you could add:

AM_INCLUDES=$(ac_path_mingw_incs)

Does this look like what you were asking about?
Xochitl
--=_alternative 00544DB586257582_=

&gt; I strive to set up my own Linux-hosted environment. I've read document<br>
&gt; available at:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; http://www.mingw.org/wiki/IncludePathHOWTO<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Now compiler finds all the headers I want, but let's take the step<br>
&gt; before - what should I do for autoconf-made configure, if I want for<br>
&gt; it to look at MinGW directories for headers and libraries? Is it even<br>
&gt; possible, since they often depend on pkgtool?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Yes, I am aware that the way over it is to edit config.mak or<br>
&gt; configure script itself, but if there is more automatic way to handle<br>
&gt; it, I would be most happy to know.<br>
can make a file named 'configure.ac' and autoconf will take into account
the rules you put into configure.ac when generating configure. &nbsp;The
file could have the following lines for a C++ program.</font></tt>
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(hello,0.1)<br>
AC_PROG_CC<br>
AC_PROG_CXX<br>
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)</font></tt>
http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/automake-1.5/html_node/automake_88.html \
or http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Autoconf-Macro-Index.html#Autoconf-Macro-Index.</font></tt>
your path to MinGW. &nbsp;You could use AC_ARG_VAR or AC_ARG_WITH to specify
the path on the command line as a configure option, for example. &nbsp;Or
you could just hardcode it for initial test like this:</font></tt>
                -I${variable-top-path}/other-mingwpath
-I../../another-mingw-path&quot;</font></tt>
library you could add:</font></tt>
--=_alternative 00544DB586257582_=--

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Most annoying abuses are: