List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] Posting lessons learned by a first time poster
From:       Tuomo Latto <djv () iki ! fi>
Date:       2008-12-17 16:25:40

Patrick Lengel wrote:
> These are the lessons learned from a first time poster to this
> board about proper posting.  I posted a question and made some newbie
> errors and I am trying to abide by the common practices for this
> community.  Keith Marshall was kind enough to spend time to teach
> me about proper posting practices and indicated that posting my
> experience may be useful to others.  This is my attempt to give
> back a little for the courtesy he has shown me by bringing me
> up to speed with preferred posting practices.  I have copied
> some of my correspondence with Keith with responses that I hope
> some may find to be useful.

There's at least one more to be learned. You just hijacked a thread
by replying to an existing message instead of writing a new one.

E-mail messages include a Message-Id header.
When replying to a message, the contents of said header field
are copied to References (for context, I think)
and, more importantly, to In-Reply-To headers in the reply.
The latter header is used by e-mail clients and list archive
software to construct a threaded (tree-like) view of the messages.

For proof, see:
http://n2.nabble.com/How-to-printf-long-doubles-tt1650580.html#a1666296
(and http://n2.nabble.com/MinGW-users-f1079350.html)

Notice how your message is now neatly shown as belonging to
a thread started by "How to printf long doubles".

--
Tuomo

... Do NOT look into laser with remaining eyeball!