List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users]
From:       Keith Marshall <keithmarshall () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-08-30 7:34:23

On Friday 29 August 2008 23:23:48 tdragon@tdragon.net wrote:
> > I thought I'd withdrawn the broken binutils from view on the
> > download page, but SF still make it available, even if hidden.
> >  It is possible that the installer, (which I neither maintain nor
> > use), may refer to that withdrawn version; if so it needs to be
> > fixed, please.
>
> Just so everyone's clear, I'd like to point out that
> binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1 is *not* the broken version;

Thanks for that clarification.

> There was a similar version
> dated something-0117 (i.e. January 17th)

binutils-2.17.50-20070129-1 is actually the one which I withdrew;
perhaps it had a Jan-17 windres issue?  That seems to ring a bell.

> which did have at least one major visible problem.

IIRC, it was supposed to add the capability of handling path names
with embedded spaces.  In practice, it just didn't work.

This illustrates the principal reason we discourage installation, or
working, in any path name which includes spaces.  Some of the tools
just can't handle them, and in general, trying to circumvent that is
way too troublesome; it is much safer to just avoid them.

Regards,
Keith.