List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] Help. cross compile,
From:       KHMan <keinhong () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-01-28 6:01:30

Chen (陈) Jun (军) wrote:
> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Quoting "Chen (陈) Jun (军)" <chjfth@gmail.com>:
>>
> [snip snip snip]
> On the other hand, since Keith and Michael volunteer to help others on
> this mailing list(respectable of course), they have to be ready when
> someone blames or refuses to use their scripts due to its not being
> absolutely perfect. Of course, a script cannot solve everyone's
> problem(which would otherwise be a myth), but if it can solve for quite
> a few among ours, their time spent is deserved, right? So, if somebody
> don't accept your advice in this or that reason for which you could not
> conceive, be lenient to him. Don't you think so?

Utter nonsense. Please don't waste your and our time by dishing
out proverbs incorrectly. As a Chinese person, I found your
incorrect usage insulting. A script is the list of instructions on
"how to fish". Understanding and applying those instructions is
*your* *problem*. Nobody has the spare time to give entire fishing
lessons to someone who demands special treatment for free.

Chen Jun, as an observer on the sidelines, I find that your
response comes across as selfish and demanding. Keith and Michael
have been very patient, what more do you want? Do you want them to
drop everything and specially spend time and effort to guide you
along every single step of the way? If I got into the same
situation, I wouldn't whine on and on in a public mailing list,
but instead I will shut up and spend the time and effort myself to
acquire the skills and knowledge needed to solve the problem.

All Free or Open Source projects without commercial backing
usually have a severe lack of resources. Everybody has too little
time to spare. Keith and Michael have no duty to provide tech
support. Like you said, it is all *voluntary*, unpaid. You are
given all the code and scripts, and the developers may provide
some binaries as far as their time and effort allows. *That*
*all*. You are to expect nothing else. You do not have a moral
right to make demands. You can only ask the list politely, and
those on the list are not duty-bound to solve your problems. Make
sure you have read [1] and [2] too. That's the way it works, and
you should adjust your expectations and thinking accordingly.

If you want fast tech support that will spend a significant amount
of time and effort on solving your problems in the particular way
you see fit, you should retain (hire) a consultant. Otherwise,
please do not expect the Sun and the Moon from a community list
and from a non-commercial FLOSS project.

[1] http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
[2] http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

--
Cheers,