List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] aclocal-1.10: unknown language:
From:       "Steven Woody" <narkewoody () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-01-20 9:25:26

On Jan 20, 2008 12:17 AM, Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello Steven,
>
> * Steven Woody wrote on Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 04:56:10PM CET:
> >
> > It seems the current version of aclocal, 1.10, does not work with some
> > parts of the reset system. is it?  When running it, i always get an
> > erro: "unknown language: Autoconf-without-aclocal-m4".  What does it
> > exactly mean?
>
> Hmm.  This error message comes from autom4te, a program that is used by
> aclocal, and part of the Autoconf package.  Which autom4te version do
> you have installed, and is maybe your Autoconf installation incomplete?
> It looks like autom4te cannot find its config file, typically
> /usr/share/autoconf/autom4te.cfg.

There are two version of autom4te on my system, one is /bin/autom4te,
that is 2.56 and another is /usr/local/bin/autom4te-2.61.  And, I also
found two config file respectively, /usr/share/autoconf/autom4te.cfg
and /usr/local/share/autoconf/autom4te.cfg.

> > I guess I should go to upgrade the /bin/m4 program, but
> > I don't know, for doing this, what package I should go to download.
>
> Which version is M4?  1.4.8 or newer are recommended, versions before
> 1.4.5 suffer from some subtle bugs exposed in configure scripts (but I
> don't think that's what you're seeing here).

my m4 is version 1.4.  i like to upgrade it but don't know how to.
which file/package should I go to download on the MinGW's download
page?  thanks.

> Cheers,
> Ralf

woody

then sun rose thinly from the sea and the old man could see the other
boats, low on the water and well in toward the shore, spread out
across the current.