List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] Installation: setting environment variables
From:       "Joel C. Salomon" <joelcsalomon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-30 21:41:39

On 9/30/07, Danny Smith <dannysmith@clear.net.nz> wrote:
> > What environment variables do I need to set to make things work?
>
> Environment variables are not the issue.  The issue is probably that
> your new computer has Vista installed.
> Search the archives for discussion of the _access() function on Vista.
> The solution is to download patched versions of the gcc.exe, g++.exe
> drivers that work as expected on Vista.

I hadn't thought about it as a problem before, but yes, this is a Vista machine.

I found <http://www.nabble.com/environment-hosed-during-upgrade-t3305745.html>;
where should I put the xgcc-3.4.5.exe I've downloaded, and should I
rename it to something else?  Is this in fact the patched gcc you were
referring to?

--Joel