List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] [? SPAM ?]  Re:  Question to thread "C++ STL,
From:       Andreas Goebel <a-goebel () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-11-16 21:14:34

Hi Danny,

I will try to answer both mails in one.
> Revert the PR comment #11 string patch?
> Yes. Not necessary with dynamic linking.  Nor are the other patches to
> libgcc.a if we use libgcc_s.dll, but thats another story.

So I will do so, though I havenīt done yet.
> Change command line/specs default options so that libstdc++.dll.a is
> used  rather than libstdc++.a?
> No.  As long as default -Bdynamic switch is not overriden, libfoo.dll.a
> has precedence over libfoo.a when linker seaches for library, so
> libstdc++.dll.a will be used by default if it is in libary search path.
> If you don't want it to be default, rename to libstdc++.so.a or
> something and then link it explicitly.

Iīve noticed that now, too.
> Distribute libstdc++_6.dll with your apps?
> Yes.  And this is why I have been reluctant to promote libstdc++.dll.
> (1) Versioning needs to be addressed to avoid libstdc++_7_? problems

This is not much of a problem. I provide a windows-installer, put the
dll there and leave system-dlls alone.
> (2) GPL. IANAL, but I am one of those people who thinks that GPL is not
> a burden/infection/obstacle but rather one of those responsibilities
> that bring rewards.  Don't weasel out with some excuse.   Please provide
> sources. What goes around comes around, etc.

I interpret this as this: I will have to provide the sourcecode of
libstdc++ if I change it. Using this lib in proprietary software is allowed:
cite:

As a special exception, you may use this file as part of a free software
   library without restriction.  Specifically, if other files instantiate
   templates or use macros or inline functions from this file, or you compile
   this file and link it with other files to produce an executable, this
   file does not by itself cause the resulting executable to be covered by
   the GNU General Public License.  This exception does not however
   invalidate any other reasons why the executable file might be covered by
   the GNU General Public License.

end cite.

> When will I have time to look at OpenSceneGraph?
> I've downloaded sources and  put in my "vale of projects that I don't
> use but are useful real-world testcases" directory so that it will work
> on gcc-4.3

Fine.

>Bugger! Pshaw! Thunderbolts! (My year 5 teacher in primary school used
>to say something like that in German)

Zum Donnerwetter!

I would sure like to test gcc 4.2.0 as I see that this issue will
probably be hard to fix with 3.4.5. So I could just have a look with
4.2.0 and see if the issue is gone.

Thanks for your help. I hope that my problems will in the end help to
improve gcc/mingw.

Regards,

Andreas