List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] Newbie: how to install libtool
From:       Keith Marshall <keithmarshall () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2006-01-28 0:30:14

On Friday 27 January 2006 7:05 pm, Greg Chicares wrote:
> Let's consider the physical structure as it appears to msw.
> Am I correct that
> MSYS's /opt would be C:\msys\1.0\opt
> MSYS's /usr/local would be C:\msys\1.0\usr\local
> MSYS's /mingw would be C:\mingw
> by default?

Not quite.

If MSYS is installed in its default location:

MSYS' /             would be   C:\msys\1.0
MSYS' /usr         would be   C:\msys\1.0         (linked within MSYS)
MSYS' /usr/local   would be   C:\msys\1.0\local
MSYS' /bin         would be   C:\msys\1.0\bin      (and is required)
MSYS' /etc         would be   C:\msys\1.0\etc      (and is required)

OTOH, MSYS' /mingw and /opt would be whatever /etc/fstab says they are to be.
If neither is mentioned in /etc/fstab, then they would be C:\msys\1.0\mingw
and C:\msys\1.0\opt respectively.  Typically, /mingw *is* mapped in
/etc/fstab, to represent C:\mingw, when the user has MinGW installed there.
/opt *isn't* added to /etc/fstab, in a default installation, but the user
could always add it himself, if he wished it to represent, say C:\opt.

> The directory C:\mingw is special because that's where the
> installers put MinGW gcc by default. That default seems right
> for gcc because you can use MinGW gcc without MSYS. It's
> tempting to use /mingw as a default prefix for other stuff
> because it's reasonable to assume C:\mingw exists, but
> I think it's better to use a prefix that would exist on *nix
> systems. That would make MSYS, cygwin, and *nix look more
> similar, so life would be easier for a developer who wants
> to support them all.

I fully agree; that's why I have my own system set up this way :-)

> Besides, some developers keep several versions of MinGW gcc
> installed, to ensure compatibility, so they might have
> C:\mingw-this and C:\mingw-that. I think /usr/local or
> /usr/opt are better for that reason too, because I can't
> see why many people would have more than one MSYS version.

Unless, of course, they were actively involved in its development, or wanted
to evaluate a new version, before committing to it :-)

Regards,
Keith.