List:       mingw-msys
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-msys] mingw-get installer and available MSYS packages.
From:       Chris Johns <chris () contemporary ! net ! au>
Date:       2010-09-07 4:50:22

On 6/09/10 1:04 PM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 9/5/2010 8:57 PM, Chris Johns wrote:
>> Does a list of commands for mingw-get exist ? I tried:
>
> Unfortunately, no.  There is no built-in help (or any other option
> parsing, for that matter, yet).  Right now, the only docu is in
> <install>/share/doc/mingw-get/README.

Thanks.

> IMO, the highest priority new "features" are:
>
>    1. command line option parsing, esp. --help/-h/-?

Agreed.

>    2. 'mingw-get uninstall a-package-specification'
>    3. 'mingw-get upgrade a-package-specification' (this is just
>       "uninstall what I have and install the latest, if newer; otherwise
>       do nothing" so it's almost free once #2 is implemented.

I would assume uninstall touches only the named package while upgrade
might have to upgrade dependent packages.

>    4. rpm-like query functions:
>        -q -l<package-spec>    (list files in this installed package)
>        -q -i<package-spec>    (tell me about this package )
>        -q<package-spec>       (tell me whether this package is
>                                installed, and what version it is)
>        -q -a                  (list all of the packages I have installed)
>       Now, we don't HAVE to follow the rather cryptic rpm command line
>       interface, but I figure most folks are familiar enough with rpm
>       that it's real clear what functionality I'm talking about.

I would also be happy with 'query' then 'query list' etc.

>    5. manifest query functions:
>         list all the packages (and their versions) I *could* install

In the yum world this is show and search.

> Patches Gratefully Considered...

If I manage to get some time allocated I would be more than happy to
send in changes.

>>      mingw-get help
>>
>> plus some other variations and I got a fatal error which seems to erase
>> the mingw-get executable. Is this a known issue ?
>
> Well, the executable didn't get erased. It just got renamed (and it is a
> known issue -- I guess I need to open a tracker item):
>
> mingw-gets last-rites bug [Was: Re: New MinGW and MSYS Installer]
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/34074

Thanks. I will just rename if it happens again.

Chris