List:       mingw-msys
Subject:    [Mingw-msys] re: Licensing Question
From:       "Brandon J. Van Every" <bvanevery () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-12-02 18:11:55

Alan Hardy wrote:
 > I apologize for what will be a question coming from a limited
technical understanding. MSYS is used to build a makefile and contains
binaries of programs I assume are under various licenses, some may be
GPL, but I haven't reviewed them yet. What I wanted to know is if any of
these software components of MSYS are transferred/copied into the
resultant makefile and then into the resultant end program? If I
understand makefiles correctly, the answer is no, but Id rather ask.

No.  MSYS does not create Makefiles for you.  It is merely a shell
environment where a Make program, such as GNU Make, can be successfully
run.  GNU Make is GPLed, but it merely executes the Makefile that *you*
provide.  It doesn't put anything into it.  Ergo, there are no legal
risks from using Makefiles, whether with GNU Make or MSYS.  A Makefile
is your own "code" and doesn't link to any other code, it is merely
interpreted by a Make program in an environment such as MSYS.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
I won't spend more than 1 day configuring 1 thing.