List:       mifos-developer
Subject:    Re: [Mifos-developer] [Mifos-users] VIDEO: Saving Open Source
From:       George Conard <gconard () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-08-08 7:02:44

Keith

> For people that are setup and wanting to be active:
>
> One big difference betweeen Mozilla and Mifos is that developers on
> mifos don't get to 'eat their own dog food'. We dont use the product
> ourselves on a day to day basis and have minimal contact with those
> that do.

This is *really* important. One of the reasons we originally built an internal \
engineering team at Grameen Foundation to work on Mifos was that we learned - both \
through direct experience and looking at other open source projects - that it's \
really hard to have a domain-specific business app that is solely built by people not \
working with the software every single day. I've yet to find many examples of open \
source business apps (like Mifos) that are purely community driven rather than having \
a central engineering organization that is supported/augmented by the community. This \
may be one of the biggest challenges for Mifos and the community going forward...

The best idea I have is to look for ways to get the developers who are now working on \
Mifos into direct contact with customers - MFIs using the software.

Cheers
-george
http://p.sf.net/sfu/rim-blackberry-1