List:       mifos-developer
Subject:    Re: [Mifos-developer] Random Thoughts about Mifos Reporting Module
From:       "Du Eric" <duxiaoyao () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-20 2:44:47

Thanks for your feedback. Please see my comments below. Thanks.  -Eric

2007/3/20, Emily Tucker <emily@emilytucker.com>:
> > Here is a sum-up:
> > 1.report data logic is reusable and with few customization
> > demand, it's a one-time investment, we could bear a relative
> > high cost to implement them, such as have developers to
> > implement the data logic (my rough estimate is about 5 days
> > per report in average).
> > 2.report presentation design is with big customization
> > requirements and we want small cost to change. Fortunately,
> > with ireport, it's very easy for semi-technical person to
> > customize the presentation of a report.
>
> I'm not clear what you're suggesting here.  Are you saying we should
> simply keep the reporting module as-is and hire developers whenever new
> reports are needed-- with the estimate of 5 days of development work per
> report?

I prefer developing the reporting module with the custom data source
approach. The current SQL approach needs more effort to develop a
report, is harder to maintain and with some issues as below:
1.work against database schema - tough work, error-prone  and low efficiency
2.duplicate domain logic in the domain model and SQL
3.difficult to add data access control (i.e. limit report data to
system user's data scope) for SQL approach.

The essential advantage of custom data source approach comes from its
working on the domain model, instead of the relational model which the
SQL approach use.

> Also, you mention that once reports are written, it's easy to add/remove
> data fields.  Is this true with jasper reports using the custom data
> source approach (which you seem to prefer?)?

That's true. The data set from the custom data source to jasper
reports is a colleaction of domain objects. Every domain object has a
set of propertities. The report designer could pick up properties
within the set to present on the report.