List:       mifos-developer
Subject:    Re: [Mifos-developer] Mobile computing and java on a cell phone
From:       "Youssef M. Assad" <youssef.assad () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-21 19:00:05

Hi.

Just thinking out loud here...

Caveat, James certainly knows heaps more about this kind of thing than I
do!

There's also the option of employing SMS in some sense. I'd worked
previously on a project where one of the technology choices was to set
up a SMS system which accepted specially formatted input, and could
respond with useful guidance messages when encountering incorrect input.
You get access control since the phone has an associated IMEI. There's
lots of ocns of course, let me play devil's advocate with myself here
just for fun:

1. Lots of entries are numeric, obviating the utility of T9 which is in
my opinion one of the key drivers of SMS success
2. Can be annoying if the user doesn't know the input format
3. Necessitates the learning of a format to begin with
4. Is unlikely to support access control beyond IMEI, not counting ugly
hacks
5. Quality of service; no guarantee built into the SMS mechanism, would
have to be hacked on top, such as confirmation messages
6. Besides, doing it in MIDP means leveraging existing Java competencies
in the Mifos community
7. Not sure about this, but I'm guessing MIDP might scale better than an
SMS-based solution

But then on the other hand...

1. Absolutely low-tech (s/low tech/simple enough to work reaosnably
well/)
2. Everyone knows SMS
3. All cell phone networks support it (we're not piloting in North
Korea, I hope)
4. The inutility of T9 with numerical input is offset by the belief I
have (I have no stats to back this up) that a lot of people just don't
use T9
5. The phone doesn't have to support Java (I know java phones are cheap
and ubiquitous, but non-java phones are even cheaper, even if they're
disappearing)
6. When Mr. Phone User keeps two thousand SMS'es in his inbox, Java apps
can become unhappy with the reduced memory available.
7. It's probably just easier to write SMS gateway scripts than to
maintain a MIDP client

And then there's the possibility of doing things through a
computer-based Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. You can do
funny things with an IVR such as Asterix. Scalability might again be an
issue here of course.

There, that ought to get the discussion rolling!

Youssef