List:       midgard-user
Subject:    [midgard-user] [fixed] Bug in Annotations
From:       Armand Verstappen <armand () nl ! envida ! net>
Date:       2000-10-28 18:14:14

On 10/28/00, 4:54:15 PM, Philipp "Rotmann," Linksystem Muenchen
<ph.rotmann@buero.link-m.de> wrote regarding [midgard-user] Bug in Annotations:

> when I try to make an annotation the 1.4 manual, e.g. on
> http://www.midgard-project.org/req/midgard-1.4/usermanagement.htm,
> I get to
> http://www.midgard-project.org//req/midgard-1.4/user..., what in
> turn sets the form action attribute to "//req/...", causing my
> browser (Netscape 4.72/NT) to look for a host named "req" ...

This is now fixed, annotations should start work as before.

> BTW, the annotation I wanted to make to that page was as
> follows:
> | The above annotation about the "real world examples" was (by
> | me, forgot name and email) originally written for Chapter 7
> | (http://www.midgard-project.org/req/midgard-1.4/users.htm) --
> | the document structure seems to have changed or something,
> | that it got attached to this page...

I have moved the annotation back to the right place. There is no
guarantee that this will not happen again in future. The annotations are
linked to the page based on the url. But because these documents are
generated from SGML DocBook source, a change in the SGML may change the
names of the generated pages, which will in turn orphan the annotations.
This is a known weak spot in our annotations system. I have at this time
no solution for it except asking those working on the docs to be carefull
not to change the generated filenames, and to check if there are any
annotations that need to be moved along with the change if they do.

Something else, the graphics in our documentation are created using dot,
which is a utilitie that creates graphics from a textual description. So
if anyone feels tempted to improve on the graphics, they can grab the
source-text from cvs and improve it. Dot is part of graphviz, which can
be found at http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/

Armand.