List:       midgard-user
Subject:    Re: [midgard] install success on www.digitaldaze.com
From:       Emiliano <emile () iris-advies ! com>
Date:       2000-05-28 14:45:43

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Kaarel Jogi wrote:

> > commodity boxes. VMware? How did they do this. Specs look _very_ cool.
> No, it's some kind of modified freeBSD 3.3 kernel that enables running
> separate daemons for every virtual host on one physical machine - almost
> as good as having your own box with root access.

Neat. I suspect they made kernel changes that makes it possible for
certain users to run services on priviliged ports for specific,
configurable IPs.

This also tackles the problem of people going to your homedir and reading
your files -- the webserver is running as yourself so noone but you needs
any kind of access to these files.

Neat, neat, neat. Looks like I'll have some kernel hacking to do in the
near future.

Emile