List:       midgard-user
Subject:    Re: [midgard] midgard-lib documentation
From:       Henri Bergius <Henri.Bergius () iki ! fi>
Date:       2000-03-27 11:36:50

On 26 Mar, Ami Ganguli wrote:
> I'd like to create a Postgres port of Midgard-lib, but I figure it might be
> useful to document the API first.

This sounds very promising. Let us know how things proceed...

Having good API documentation available would be a valuable
resource for developers wanting to add new capabilities
to the system (like the PostgreSQL support mentioned here).

> Questions:
>
> 1. Does API documentation for midgard-lib already exist?  Is somebody already
> working on it?

Not actually, some of the later additions have been documented,
but the older stuff isn't.

> 2. Is there a preferred format for documentation (ie. HTML, DocBook, text)?

DocBook SGML would be preferred, but I think having the docs
in whatever format is better than having no docs at all.

You can find the SGML files of the manual from our CVS
repository. This could probably be addition to that.

> 3. I thought the header files for 1.2.6beta2 would be a good place to start.
> Is there another version (perhaps from CVS) that would be better?

There have been a few changes to the code since beta-2. You'll
probably be better off by using the latest CVS version. The
instructions on using the CVS repository can be found from:
	http://www.midgard-project.org/article/1000.html

Please let me know when you have some material available, and
I'll create you a CVS write account.

If you're going to work on the code, it might also be a good
idea to subscribe this mailing list.

> Ami.

/Bergie

--