List:       midgard-user
Subject:    Re[2]: [midgard] 1.2.6 upgrade
From:       Alexander Bokovoy <bokovoy () minsk ! lug ! net>
Date:       2000-01-30 1:54:38

Hello Derek,

you wrote:
> So for now, if I install 1.2.6 and move the midgard database from 1.2.5 it
> should work smoothly?  What do you mean when you say:
>> I'm trying to insert additional functionality into existed pages (it is hard
>> but possible).
I said about known Midgard 1.2.x misfeature coming from direct
database-specific ID usage. If I'd add new page, it'll get some ID,
but when I'll move DB's content from my machine to yours one, your DB
might has an object with the same ID which will be surely a problem.
To avoid this, we introduced DB-neutral IDs for objects in Midgard
2.0. As a temporary solution for 1.2 branch, Midgard 1.2.6 will use
special translation table which will hold information about portable
ID and database-specific one. So far, Midgard 1.2.6 beta 2 start
supporting this feature internally quite well but for benefit from it,
you'll need to have an utility to export database information from one
location and import it to another one. For the moment, this utility is
still in alpha state, that's why I'll try to create Admin Site's
update without involving new DB-specific IDs which could break your
site.

Best regards,
 Alexander                            mailto:bokovoy@minsk.lug.net