List:       midgard-user
Subject:    Re: [midgard] HELP: Style inheritance
From:       E.Heyns () uci ! kun ! nl
Date:       1999-11-28 19:06:40

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Paul Vinciguerra wrote:

> Can someone explain style inheritance to me?  I want to take the ROOTs
> navilinks and extend it in the subpages.  In the subpage I created a
> navilinks (same name as the element in ROOT) changed the type to inherit.
> as a test, I added the content "This  is new to subpage" as a test.
>
> When I look at the page, all I get is "This is new to subpage".  How do I
> access the ancestor's content?

Style inheretence is replace-based. So what you could do is define a
style element called 'rootstyle' in your root style, include all your
CSS style definitions in it, and at the end (or whereever) include
<(level1style)>.

In your childstyle you can override any style element you like (or none),
and include a style element 'level1style'. The parent style will include
it when the child style is used, or ignore it for the toplevel style.

The resulting set of style elements in a style collection when a page
is displayed is the collection of all elements in that style + all of
its parents + the page elements of the current page, where names deeper
in the hierarchy take precedence (with page elements being at the
'bottom'). As said, missing style elements are silently ignored.

> Off topic, where should someone start looking to find out these types of
> things without bothering the list.

This is where we would point to the documentation, were it complete. At
the moment I'd say the list's your best source. As always, we welcome
everyone to go to the Midgard Manual and pick a spot that needs work.

> (I know the sources, but where does someone go for the 20,000 foot
> view of things?)

I can't personally recommend a specific place, and I'd have to know
where you live, but
http://www.air-affair.com/apple_valley_skydive/highaltitude/
may be a start :)

Seriously, though, the Midgard manual will be the definitive reference
once finished. For the time being I can recommend the Midgard website,
the demo site, and the mailling list (+archives).

Bye,
Emile