List:       midgard-user
Subject:    Re: [midgard] Help: I am New to this list
From:       E.Heyns () uci ! kun ! nl
Date:       1999-11-28 17:08:22

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, nyh wrote:

> I have modified/translated  a few perl and Miva scripts and done some
> web publishing work,
> but have never worked on the base of Apache Linux SQL or PHP.

If you know Perl, PHP should offer little problems.

> If  I install Midgard on a server where  Apache  MySQL PHP is installed,
> will  I have to compile any modules?

Yes. And one of the modules will replace the existing PHP module, so
talk to your sysadmin about it. The replacement is a superset of PHP
itself, so your PHP scripts will still work.

> Is it still a difficult process for a beginner to accomplish ?

There have been difficulties in the past, but these seem to be less
common now. The mailinglist will be able to help you if you meet
with difficulties.

> Will future upgrades be difficult to integrate

Backwards compatibility and upgradeability are and will remain important
points in the Midgard development.

> and is there any commercial help available?

For technical issues, no, not at the moment, but the mailinglist covers
that quite nicely. If you mean deployment help, talk to Michael Ed
(blixten@blixten.com) who is now negotiating with a web firm about
a Midgard gig.

Bye,
Emile