List:       midgard-user
Subject:    [midgard] Zope aquisition
From:       E.Heyns () uci ! kun ! nl
Date:       1999-11-24 14:19:16

Hi all,

When I previously talked about Zope & aquisition I said that
aquisition is simply inheretance, and since PHP has OO, we
have it too.

This is not entirely true. Aquisition is not class
inheretance, but *object* inheretance, so objects deeper in
the url space inherit functionality from objects higher up
in the hierarchy.

Let's say that page elements would be automatically available
to pages deeper in the page hierarchy, unless overruled by a
new definition of the same name.

This would allow constructs like:

* style element "render"*
function render($id)
{
  return "";
}

*page element "render" for /download"*
function render($id)
{
  /* fetch some articles and do some wild stuff */
}

*page element "render" for /download/binaries/archive"*
function render($id)
{
  /* fetch some articles and do some wild stuff */
  /* display warning that these are old releases */
}

This is an utterly silly example only for illustration purposes.
The function "render" would be available everywhere, but can
be overridden for parts of the page space for specialized
work. Zope can also explicitly call overruled parent functions,
which is neat chaining functions, but would be quite hard to do right
in Midgard.

Bye,
Emile