List:       midgard-user
Subject:    Re: [midgard-user] Midgard Questions / How Tos
From:       Tarjei Huse <tarjei () nu ! no>
Date:       2004-10-23 10:12:39

Adam Douglas wrote:

>Hi everyone. I have quiet a few questions I would like to ask. Any
>suggestions or direction one could lead me in to answer my questions
>would be much appreciated. Here we go...
>

>1. How do you place a link in the <(navi)> to go to the homepage?

I inserted this in navi-dynamic:

69:   $index = mgd_get_article_by_name($nav->get_root_node(),'index');
70:   $root = $nav->get_node($nav->get_current_node());
71:   if ($index->topic == $root[MIDCOM_NAV_ID] && $nav->get_current_leaf() == 0 ) {
73:   } else {
75:   }

The linenumbers should give you a hit on where to plave the code.

>2. How do I implement a secure section of my site?

Use ssl :-)

>	2a. How do I restrict what content (including navigation menu)
>is visible to specific individual users and by user 	    groups?

Viewer groups in cvs solves this.

>	2b. Is inheritance supported?

In what way?

For styles? Objects?

For styles, I just place all my elements - including most of the
elements in the rootpage (not the code-{init|global|finish) ones)  in
one root style and let all my other styles inherit that style. Thus I
gain some inheritance.

>I require a security system that allows for individual access as well as
>group level access. I currently have 5 groups of users that would see
>different content. Certain users would have control over
>adding/editing/marinating user accounts for a specific company/branch
>locations. I would also require to have a interface that would allow me
>to maintain all of this. I assume AegirCMS would handle this under
>persons/groups. I already have a security system like this designed in
>PHP along with an admin interface. However I'm not sure how to do this
>system under Midgard. Oh also I would require further details to be
>store per user then Midgard does by default. Would this be done by me
>adding more columns to the persons table or adding additional tables?

Read up on the midgard api. Midgard has a parametersystem for storing
content to different objects regadless of which object.

>3. How would a user that has editing rights to a section of the web site
>be able to upload PDFs and asking the user for a few details of the
>uploaded PDF?

This would be as an attachment. The attachment could be added to a topic
or an article.

>I have a huge literature section on my current web site that is entirely
>rendered from a database table (files are referenced via file path) that
>is has major details. How can this be done using Midgard? Would
>integrating my system into Midgard be a better approach? Is it possible?

It wouldn't be hard to integrate the system into midgard.

>4. How can I hide the  <(breadcrumb)> <(last-updated)>
><(edit-this-page)> for those that should see it only?

You'll need a loginlink whatever you do. The rest may be moved behind
that like this:
<? if ($GLOBALS['midgard']->user ) {
?>

<(breadcrumb)> <(last-updated)>
<(edit-this-page)>

<? } else { ?>
<(edit-this-page)>

<? } ?>

}

>5. When developing using Midgard how should one do it? Do all the coding
>in Midgard? Or do some people keep a site running without Midgard
>involved with the same code so one can use an IDE such as Zend Studio?
>Copy/paste code from there into Midgard?

There are more ways to skin this cat than there are exiting places in
Florida =)

You may use the different webinterfaces directly. For snippets, Aegir
contains a component to export/import the snippets to a filesystem for
simple editing and bergie has made a webdavextension.

>6. Is it correct that Midgard currently only supports MySQL for the
>backend?

Yes

>7. How can I remove the Title on the homepage? I set the Title blank in
>Midcom-admin but Midgard still places the <h1></h1> code in. Which in
>return causes a paragraph break that breaks my design well kicks it down
>lower. Doesn't look as nice to me.

The way an article is shown is defined in the articletemplate of the
midcom in question. If you use taviewer this snippet is found in
/de/linkm/taviewer/_style/article-show if I remember corectly. Just
create a article-show element in your style and modify it the way you want.
Tarjei

Tarjei Huse <tarjei@nu.no>