List:       midgard-dev
Subject:    [midgard-dev] Midgard 1.2.6 status report
From:       Alexander Bokovoy <ab () stimorol ! com ! by>
Date:       2000-01-09 1:56:39

Hello Midgardians!

 As  Midgard  1.2.6  comes  closely  (and stable beta probably will be
 placed  into CVS next  week), I should say that I received some nice
 suggestions from local users/testers.

 Looking  through the Midgard's Manual, you can find that for creating
 simple site at Midgard, you'll have to go several steps. Though, this
 is  not  neccesary,  and  of  course  this  situation creates several
 problems for newbies. I changed a bit Admin Site interface so that:

 'New host' dialog allows to select '[new style]' as Host's style and
 new style with predefined style elements will be created:
  ROOT:
   <HTML>
   <HEAD>
     <[head]>
   </HEAD>
   <BODY>
     <[body]>
   </BODY>
   </HTML>

   head:
    <TITLE><(title)></TITLE>

   body:
    <(content)>

 This  style shows all Midgard's style features except inheritance and
 would useful especially for newbies.

 So,  new  host  creation  will  be  one-step procedure: just hit 'New
 Host',  enter  Host  name and Prefix (they are separated now), select
 needed options (online/offline, owner, etc.), and keep style and root
 page  with  defaults. After this new host together with new style and
 root  page  will  be  created,  and could be checked if its status is
 online.

 Also the style structure outlined before is used now as default style
 when  you're  use  'New  top  level  style' dialog. At least it helps
 newcomers feel themselfs more cosily with Admin Site.

 There  are  also some small changes and bug fixes in Admin Site code,
 and  one  addition  into  mod_midgard  -  <(author)> page element now
 declared by mod_midgard as well as <(title)> and <(content)>. Example
 site already uses <(author)> but it was empty before this addition.

 For  the  moment  I  cannot  upload  Admin  Site  into CVS repositary
 together with other 1.2.6-beta packages, but they are available at my
 Midgard's  test  corner (http://www.midgard.f2s.com/). I'll place all
 things  into  CVS  as  soon  as  'Clone  Object'  mechanism  will  be
 implemented  (I  expect that it'll be during next week, as I've found
 some users who want to help with Cloning and Replication).

Best regards,
 Alexander Bokovoy.