List:       midgard-dev
Subject:    Re: [midgard-dev] Midgard2 again
From:       Piotras <pp () infoglob ! com>
Date:       2005-07-28 12:24:36

Henri Bergius <henri.bergius@nemein.com> wrote:

> Here's my take:
>
> * MgdSchema and Query Builder used everywhere for data access
>     - midgard-php, midgard-java, repligard, ...
>     - QB needs to support the JOIN queries first
>     - Switching MgdSchema names of Midgard objects from
> NewMidgardArticle to MidgardArticle, etc.

QB as a full replacement for "old" mgd_list_xxx is not the best solution as it breaks
backward compatibility. Current ,"old" midgard-php classes have own sql queries
which use date formatting etc, so QB is not able to recreate such issues.

> * Classic mgd_xx PHP functions available only as an optional
> compatibility layer

With 1.8 we can add switch to midgard-php wchich will disable old API
( at least the bigger part of it ). Such solution should be used only for developers and
never on production servers.

> * Unified configuration system
>     - same DB access config files for midgard-apache, php-cli,
> midgard-java, repligard

php-cli already uses it so we need rewrite config for repligard and add aditional
config "parser" for apache and keep old directives untouched.

> * GUIDs (actually, UUIDs, see mRFC 0018) used everywhere

Yep, and GetObjectInfo should became usefull with 1.8.
Automagic tables and fields settings seem to be mandatory for it.

> Then some nice-to-haves:
>
> * DB abstraction using libgda

Automated databse management should be made after libgda support,
but we can hide libgda ( it's lack too ) in midgard-core API.
The same must be done midgard_res. It's not stable already with MySQL 4.1.

So:
Old midgard-php API should be obsolete as soon as 1.7.1 will be released.
With "obsolete" I mean: the same properties should be used for objects , but
properties which uses dates may have different formatting.

With 1.8 we can ( we must ) define new replacement for old API, and delete
old API code with 1.9.
All midgard users should have enough time to make decision, either they say
with old versions or they switch to MgdSchema&QB or to MidCOM.

Midgard2 will appear as soon as last line of code which is used in 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 will be deleted.

Piotras