List:       midgard-dev
Subject:    Re: [midgard-dev] The campaing for UI simplification
From:       Torben Nehmer <torben () nehmer ! net>
Date:       2005-01-12 16:13:32

Hi,

--On Samstag, 8. Januar 2005 17:35 +0100 Tarjei Huse <tarjei@nu.no> wrote:

> I suggest we start a campaing for UI simplification. There are way
> to many places in the Midcom UI where the user is presented with way too
> many options.

I agree

> 1. If the go to page option is not working why do you get a "Page
> preview not available" option in the toolbar?

Because I don't just want to "disappear" this item, leaving the user asking
himself why it is not here right now where it was there just a minute ago.

> 2. The mailtemplate asks the user for mimetype, X-mailer and encoding
> and whatnot. How many users know what this is?

These "advanced" fields are only shown to powerusers. The casual user sees
something like from, cc, subject, body (more or less).

> Also, is there a way to have "subgroups" in the toolbar? I'd like to
> move some of the options to different subgroups with hoverdropdowns to
> make the toolbar look nicer.

It is not yet possible, no.

Perhaps some way to add another toolbar object as "item" would be an idea,
though this would certainly be a significant increase in complexity.

If we want to do that, we first need to improve the toolbar class using an
object per item, instead of "dumb" arrays. If you have that, you can use
the "composite" design pattern to do what you want.

You do know, that "hoverdropdowns" require JS? Toolbars are usuable on-site
and JS there is often a problem.

Live long and Prosper!
Torben Nehmer

--
Torben Nehmer, Guenzburg, Bavaria, Germany
http://www.nathan-syntronics.de, mailto:torben@nehmer.net