List:       midgard-dev
Subject:    [midgard-dev] One small step to future
From:       Piotras <pp () infoglob ! com>
Date:       2004-08-17 10:20:18

Goooood moooooooring commmmuuuunity!
( play some sound here from your favourite movie) :)

Looks like next relase of  Midgard 1.6 is just around the corner.
As there is only one critical issue to be solved I would like to start
preparing to release 1.6 RC1.

What we need:

	* Fix guids creation bug when midgard uses VC feature.
	( David, can we fix that with midgard-data? )

	* Make UTF-8 functionality as suggested in Torben's mail.
	( there is already function for db utf update in midgard-data , but not tested )

	* Binaries for release, so anyone interested in binaries for favourite distro
	please, check what is missing.

	* Anyone addicted to Midgard , please use CVS versions on testing servers :)

My proposals for a future:

We could use VC feature which comes with Midgard 1.6 to develope Midgard applications
like Aegir or MidCom. If it is possible , anyone could make on-line commits without \
need  to export and import data, snippets or whatever. At the same time it allows us \
to test new  features addedd to midgard itself.

After 1.6 will be released as stable , I would like to focus on new features in \
midgard library. It doesn't mean that we will release Midgard2 "just like that". The \
only way to test and develope Midgard is use it , so all new fatures must be 100% \
backward compatible. In any other case no one will use new midgard and no one will \
find bugs and issues. At the same time running  new versions on developing servers \
and stable on production ones will be the best way to  improve Midgard itself.

What is important to do:

- Create xml parser for library.
	I commited some very first lines of code in hope that we will create parser
	for we_do_not_know_how_this_file_should_looks_like.xml.
	I define what is important in xml file with  simple "char *strings[] { "type", \
"rlink", "etc" , NULL}; "   If this is bad way to avoid hardcoding important data for \
xml , please let me know.

- Create persistent GHash according to xml file.
	Personally I need some help from anyone familiar with xmlAttr.
	I do not know how to get the same functionality which was trivial with expat.

- Create at the beggining one persistent gobject according to xml file.
	The one MidgardObject, which will manage repligard table.

- Another Database changes:
	Move all important data from objects ( like  author , creator , approved , revised , \
etc ) to   repligard's table to get the same huge functionality for all objects, \
while leaving metadata  storage in current tables.

- Make guids mandatory for all objects to improve replications, and increase \
functionality.
Everyone is invited :)
Anyone interested in ? :)

Piotras