List:       microblaze-uclinux
Subject:    Re: [microblaze-uclinux] TCP transmit performance
From:       John Williams <jwilliams () itee ! uq ! edu ! au>
Date:       2008-05-27 0:27:30

Hi Falk,

Brettschneider Falk wrote:
> I just wanted to tell which functions of the TCP/IP stack I placed into BRAM with \
> that pattern: #include <linux/autoconf.h>
> #include <asm/sections.h>
> __bram_code__
>
> Those functions are:
> 1) static int xenet_FifoSend(struct sk_buff *orig_skb, struct net_device *dev)      \
> (./drivers/net/xilinx_emac/adapter.c) 2) int dev_hard_start_xmit(struct sk_buff \
> *skb, struct net_device *dev)                 (./net/core/dev.c) 3) struct sk_buff \
> *__alloc_skb(unsigned int size, gfp_t gfp_mask, int fclone, int node) \
> (./net/core/skbuff.c) 4) static void skb_release_data(struct sk_buff *skb)          \
> (-"-) 5) void kfree_skbmem(struct sk_buff *skb)                                     \
> (-"-) 6) void __kfree_skb(struct sk_buff *skb)                                      \
> (-"-) 7) int ip_output(struct sk_buff *skb)                                         \
> (./net/ipv4/ip_output.c) 8) static inline int qdisc_restart(struct net_device *dev) \
> (./net/sched/sch_generic.c) 9) void __qdisc_run(struct net_device *dev)             \
> (-"-)
> Maybe this should become another checkbox in the kernel .config file section \
> "Processor type and features", likely called CONFIG_TCP_IN_BRAM.

It's a good use of the __bram__ capabilities I agree.  I'm a bit I'd be
a bit reluctant to throw a bunch of MicroBlaze-specific stuff in the
mainline networking code, as it makes things harder to maintain and
synch up with mainline kernel updates, and would have no chance of
getting to kernel.org unless it was done in a mainline-friendly fashion.

I wonder if there might be some clever way to do this stuff directly on
the .o files as a post-compile, pre-link step, and avoid touching the C
source files at all?

Cheers,

John