List:       mico-devel
Subject:    [mico-devel] imr and nsd
From:       "Peter Fischer" <pfischer () ira ! uka ! de>
Date:       2005-08-05 18:50:26

Hello,

I'm trying to start nsd via imr. The method described in the MICO book
using -ORBImplRepoAddr
and -ORBNamingAddr is outdated as I was told by Kay Römer.
Does anyone know how is the up-to-date method to do this?
In the demos services/naming/ and poa/account-3 both is demonstrated
separately, but my efforts to bring them together failed.
I would like to put all parameters in the .micorc file so I can invoke
micod, nsd and the progs
without having to add the parameters. Is there a way doing this without
writing .ref files
containing IORs and using the more readable cobaloc:: addressing scheme?

Here are the contents of my .micorc file (real hostnames replaced by
<host>):

-ORBDebug All
-ORBImplRepoIOR corbaloc::<host>:12456
-ORBNamingIOR corbaloc::<host>:12457/NameService

When I put in things like -ORBIIOPAddr it failed because nsd tried to bind
to the same
Address like micod (because both read the same .micorc). By the way how
can I find out (under linux) which ports are free and which are not (in
use by which programs)? 12456 seems to be in use already on my system.
Furthermore the corbaloc:: scheme seems not to work with -ORBImplRepoIOR.
I get a BAD_PARAM exception. But how can I give the address to the imr
(micod)?

So if anyone knows what is the minimal content I have to place in the
.micorc to get nsd run via imr, I would be very thankful.

I'm not shure about something fundamental:
nsd IS a poa (that's what I know).
And so it should be sufficient when an application only gets it as the
root poa (like the client in the naming example)?
But for imr to get in use, micod must be the root poa, especially when I
want to start up nsd
when activating the server? So the server needs both, micod as the root
poa AND nsd as second poa (what seems to be the case in the naming
example, too)?
So both informations have to be put in .micorc, but the client
misunderstands them when I use -ORBIIOPAddr for the root poa and adding
-ORBNamingIOR for the naming poa. That's what -ORBImplRepoIOR seems to be
for. The client also has to know both because when contacting the nsd poa
direcly, the imr is bypassed which shall not be. So the client also has to
have micod as the root poa and nsd as the second. But how can I achieve
that the client uses nsd and imr simultaneously? I think the way has to be
that micod (imr) is in between and proxies the requests to the nsd and
starts it up if necessary. But when the reference to the naming service is
retained, isn't imr bypassed? Or because the reference is obtained from
micod (the orb) all requests to the nsd run via micod and therefore imr?
I read Frank Pilhofers diploma thesis so I believe to understand but it
would be nice if someone could enlighten the darkness in my head.

Okay, please do not shiver from this lenghty mail and feel free to answer
to whichever part of my questions.

Thank you in advance and friendly greetings.

Hopefully, yours

Peter.