List:       mico-devel
Subject:    Re: [mico-devel] Pure CORBA examples
From:       Alexy Khrabrov <alexy.khrabrov () setup ! org>
Date:       2002-05-21 18:25:08

> Message delivery does not need to entail blocking (although a pull Consumer
> may choose to block if it wishes [...] )" [Bolton: Pure CORBA]

Apparently, I'm not the only one learning CORBA with the Bolton's book.

I wonder if anybody else tried to compile his simple BookRepository
example all the way to Naming Service.  The rub comes at Borrowable,
where the Date_var used are apparently Orbix-specific.  (Bolton is
an IONA guy.)   Apart from adding Orbix-specific include's, it looks
to me as implementation-specific: with omniORB3, it just didn't
compile, and under MICO, the return date right after you borrow is
null -- had to skip printing it.  But otherwise MICO did fine, better
than omniORB3.  Wohoo!  They still say that omniORB3 is the fastest
ORB on this planet, so we'll have to compare that when necessary,
but compile-wise MICO did better.  It's clearly in-out-inout issue,
is there something here in the bindings where MICO is ahead of omniORB3?...
Bolton's examples have includes like <omg/CosNaming.h>, while in MICO
it's <mico/...> and in omniORB3 <omniORB3/...>.  Is there something
at www.omg.org which is an approved include's, or Orbix just grabbed

Getting into it,
Alexy